Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Can anyone tell me the reality and expectations of law school?

I am planning to enroll in law school next month and so I would want advice from law students and even lawyers about what to expect, how the atmosphere is like, the subjects, the "terror" teachers, the student life, how stressful it is, and especially how to handle the Socratic method very well. I want to know the experiences of being in law school, both the most enjoyable and the most hellish. I would highly appreciate the point of view from law students themselves so I would prepare myself for it. Thanks!Can anyone tell me the reality and expectations of law school?
I am sure you already know this and it is just a mis-wording of the question but you do not "enroll" in law school, you have to apply and be accepted. Anyway, you're in luck as I just graduated from law school.



Reading: To start with you have to read a lot in law school. I usually read between 300-500 pages per week. It is much more difficult reading than you ever encountered in undergrad. It is mostly cases and statutes. During your first year it could very well take you one hour per 10 pages of reading, until you get the hang of it and can do it faster (for most people this happens at the end of the first year or during the second that the reading becomes easier for you.)



The subjects: Some you will find boring, others will be of great interest to you, and then others nearly everyone will hate. You should already be enrolled in some classes if you are starting for the summer term so I'll spare you a list of typical first year courses and just say that each one offers its own challenge.



Socratic method: Not many profs in law school are "hellish." 99% of the time your prof will be very kind and patient when calling on you. That said, if you did not do the reading or they can tell you didn't even try to figure something out on your own, they will get ticked and be a little more aggressive. However, if you make a good faith effort to understand the reading profs generally have no problem with you asking a question if you are called on and unclear on that case. Every once in a while though you can run into a pretty tough prof. They will make you stand when called on and stay on you for 45 min to an hour. But like I said that is the exception and not the rule (actually I never had this prof I am talking about but he is the only one to be this tough that I know of at my law school).



What is most enjoyable to you as a law student will depend on your taste. I always enjoyed writing so any written assignments or any classes that allowed a paper instead of an exam were fun for me. You may enjoy research, if you like oral advocacy, oral argument may be your favorite. It just all depends on your taste. I would recommend that you take at least one alternative dispute resolution course (negotiations, mediation, arbitration ect) as almost everyone seems to enjoy those classes and for good reason, it is really fun.



The most hellish part of law school will also depend on you. The worst part for me was the pressure of taking one exam at the end of the semester for my entire grade. Also pretty hellish is the amount of time you spend doing this stuff and by exam time you are burned out.



There is no way to prepare yourself except to have an open mind and a hard working attitude. Law school is there to teach you all of this, everyone comes in anxious and with no idea how to handle law school but you will figure it out as every law student before you has.



If you would like an in depth look at what law school is like from an insiders point of view, read "1L" can't remember the author's name but I am sure you can find it by the title.



Best of luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment